Industry News of the Day for September 14, 2022
iDEA Growth and GeoComply present the 2022 Power Lunch Summit – September 20, 21 & 22
In this 3-part online gaming and sports betting webinar series, panelists will discuss the battle against illegal online gambling sites, what states looking to legalize online gaming can learn from states that already have, and what M&A activity may look like for the industry in the year to come.
iDEA Growth Member News
- SBC Americas 9.14.22 – This NFL season Paysafe’s play is more secure financial transactions
- With the start of every football season, a wave of new customers sign up for sportsbooks for the first time. A huge part of that process is establishing a means of payment. This sticking point can often be a point of friction, but thanks to payment processors like Paysafe, that process is becoming smoother with each season of regulated sports betting in the US. Zak Cutler, President of Global Gaming at Paysafe, is quoted in this story.
- SBC Americas, 9.14.22 – Design Works Gaming content now available on DraftKings Casino in NJ
- Content provider Design Works Gaming (DWG) was already prevalent on Golden Nugget in New Jersey, but the games are coming to another casino in the Golden Nugget family, DraftKings Casino.
- Play Virginia, 9.13.22 – Bet365 Virginia To Become State’s 15th Sportsbook
- Hello, bet365 Sportsbook. A few months after Golden Nugget quietly bowed out of Virginia’s market, the company behind bet365 received a temporary license in the state.
- Bonus.com, 9.13.22 – Netflix’s New Budget Option Will Feature Advertising, but not Gambling Ads
- Despite promises to the contrary, Netflix is looking at advertising to boost its revenue. North Americans who already feel inundated with sports betting and online casino ads will be relieved to know that gambling ads are not in the plan.
- CBS News, 9.13.22 – Battle over legalizing online sports betting in California heating up
- The battle over whether to legalize online sports betting has become one of the most expensive in California history. Under Proposition 27, online sports betting companies would hit a jackpot. While Indian casinos say it would take a major hit if people could bet on their favorite team from anywhere.
- Play CA, 9.13.22 – Prop 26 Creates New Fund To Help Combat Problem Gambling
- There’s a contentious battle between the two groups supporting the opposing California sports betting ballot initiatives.
- Play CA, 9.13.22 – Why Does Prop 26 Ban Sports Betting On California Schools?
- This fall, California has two hotly contested sports-betting initiatives on the ballot. Both propositions ban betting on high school sports, but only Proposition 26 prohibits wagering on in-state college teams. Why does Prop 26 ban in-state college sports betting?
- California Casinos, 9.13.22 – California Democratic Party Makes First Financial Contribution to No on Prop 27
- The California Democratic Party is now financially involved with the sports betting battle of Prop 26 and Prop 27. On Sept. 9, the California Democratic Party donated $1,055.09 to No on 27 – Californians for Tribal Sovereignty and Safe Gaming, according to records kept by the California Secretary of State.
- NBC News, 9.13.22 – Abrams leans into legalizing sports betting in Georgia as Kemp’s lead widens
- With polls showing Stacey Abrams trailing Gov. Brian Kemp, the Democratic challenger in Georgia’s governor’s race has leaned heavily into highlighting her support for legalizing sports betting in the state.
- Play Illinois, 9.13.22 – Illinois Leads US In Year-Over-Year Sports Betting Growth On NFL
- Sports betting in Illinois on the NFL’s opening week was up 60% compared to Week 1 of the 2021 season. And Illinois made the highest year-over-year jump of any state in the nation. Anna Sainsbury, GeoComply’s CEO, is quoted in this story.
- Play IA, 9.13.22 – New ClutchBet Sportsbook Drops In Iowa, Joins 17 Others
- A new sportsbook is coming to Iowa, and it’s the parent company’s first splash into the American market. On Aug. 28, BlueBet announced that it received a license from the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission for its ClutchBet site. Paysafe President of Global Gaming Zak Cutler is quoted in this story.
- Gaming Today, 9.13.22- Massachusetts Looks to Crackdown on Underage Sports Betting
- Sportsbook brand ambassadors are hand-picked for their appeal. Sports betting advertising recommendations pending in Massachusetts would make sure they appeal to bettors of legal age.