Industry News of the Day for September 15, 2020
EGR US Power Virtual Summit:
This Thursday, September 17th, is the EGR Power Virtual Summit, and iDEA Growth founder Jeff Ifrah will moderate an interactive Q&A with key regulators from some of the fastest growing states in the online gaming market. Register Today.
iDEA Growth in the News:
- Penn Bets, 9.14.20 – Pennsylvania’s Online Responsible Gambling Standards Lauded, But Operators Could Do More (iDEA Growth mentioned)
- Pennsylvania’s first online sportsbooks and casinos began operating a little more than a year ago, and they all make responsible gambling tools available to consumers to voluntarily control excessive play.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Sports Handle, 9.14.20 – ESPN Deepens Sports Betting Ties With Caesars, DraftKings Deals
- ESPN furthered its commitment to making sports betting part of its mainstream programming Monday, reaching agreements on separate multi-year deals with Caesars and DraftKings.
- Legal Sports Report, 9.14.20 – ESPN Goes Big On Sports Betting, Will Integrate DraftKings, Caesars And William Hill
- ESPN has ramped up its involvement in the US sports betting sector thanks to two new deals with DraftKings and Caesars/William Hill.
- The Washington Post, 9.15.20 – On Maryland Ballots This Fall: Should Sports Gambling Be Legal?
- The sports gambling company DraftKings, which built its brand on fantasy sports, has put $250,000 behind persuading Maryland voters to legalize sports betting in November, campaign finance records show.
- iGB North America, 9.15.20 – GeoComply Launches Multi-State Self—Exclusion Tool
- Location verification specalist GeoComply has announced the launch of PlayPause, a solution that allows players to self-exclude from gambling across multiple states.
- Legal Sports Report, 9.14.20 – The Week In Sports Betting News: PointsBet, Others Launch For NFL Start
- Sports betting felt like it was truly back this weekend with news of big bets from sportsbooks across the country.
Overall Industry News:
- The Hill, 9.15.20 – Safe, Responsible Casino Gaming Supports State Economies At Crucial Times
- 13 marks the start of Responsible Gaming Education Week, a nationwide observance to highlight responsible gaming efforts and educate employees and customers alike.
- Gambling Compliance, 9.15.20 – American Gaming Association To Enforce Responsible Marketing Code For Sports Betting (subscription paywall)
- More than a year after the release of a voluntary code for responsible sports-betting advertising, the American Gaming Association (AGA) on Monday outlined how the code will be enforced.
- SBC Americas, 9.15.20 – Bill Miller: Responsible Marketing Code Puts Sports Bettors First
- The American Gaming Association (AGA) has activated the enforcement process associated with its Responsible Marketing Code for Sports Wagering.
- iGB North America, 9.14.20 – AGA Marketing Code For Betting Comes Into Effect
- The American Gaming Association (AGA)’s has introduced a new code of conduct to prevent irresponsible advertising by its members for their sportsbook products.
- iGB North America, 9.15.20 – Gambling.Com Group Unveils New RG Resource Hub
- Affiliate marketing specialist Gambling.com Group has launched Responsible Gambling Center, a new portfolio of resources aimed at combatting problem gambling and related harm.
- ESPN, 9.15.20 – New Jersey Sportsbooks Took In Record $667.9 Million In Bets In August
- An August jam-packed with sports turned out to be the most prolific month ever for New Jersey bookmakers.
- Bloomberg, 9.14.20 – NJ Nabs $13 Million In Taxes From Record-Breaking Sports Bets
- Sports betting operators in New Jersey collected $668 million in August, shattering a record previously held by Nevada, according to PlayNJ.
- Legal Sports Report, 9.14.20 – New Jersey Sports Betting Sets US Record In Busy August
- A full slate of MLB, NBA and NHL games all August led to a record-setting month for New Jersey sportsbooks.
- Online Poker Report, 9.15.20 – New Jersey Beats Its Online Casino & Poker Revenue Record Yet Again In August
- New Jersey online gambling revenue continues to climb, even as its brick-and-mortar casino industry is on the mend.
- Sports Handle, 9.14.20 – New Jersey New Record: NJ Sportsbooks Handle $668M In August, Destroy Previous Nationwide Record
- At least in the world of the monthly New Jersey sports betting handle, the V-shaped recovery is real.
- Sports Handle, 9.14.20 – Stakeholders Have Plenty To Say About Proposed Virginia Sports Betting Regulations
- The public-comment period on the proposed Virginia sports betting regulations closed on Sept. 9, and stakeholders had plenty to say.
- Legal Sports Report, 9.14.20 – Virginia Lottery Votes Tuesday On Sports Betting Regulations
- It seems like it’s been years since the process started, but Virginia sports betting finally takes a big step forward Tuesday.
- TN Bets, 9.14.20 – Fifth Bookmaker Seeks Entry Into Tennessee Sports Wagering Market
- The Tennessee sports betting market is expected to begin next month, potentially with four online/mobile sportsbooks launching on the same day.
- Online Poker Report, 9.14.20 – Michigan Online Gambling Operators Start Testing And Certification
- Late last week, the Michigan Gaming Control Board (MGCB) issued authorization for the state’s first game testing lab.
- PlayMichigan, 9.14.20 – Detroit Sportsbooks Accept $15M In Bets During First Month Back
- Detroit sportsbooks were open for nearly the entire month of August. In that time, the three sportsbooks accepted $15 million in wagers and posted nearly $2 million in sports betting revenue.
- iGB North America, 9.15.20 – Michigan Betting Revenue Reaches $1.97M In August
- Detroit’s three commercial casinos generated revenue of $69.3m in August, the first results reported since the properties reopened following four and a half months closed due to novel coronavirus (Covid-19), while sports betting’s contribution grew to $1.97m.
- PlayIllinois, 9.14.20 – Do I Stay Or Do I Go Now? Existing Illinois Bettors Won’t Have To Visit Casino To Keep Accounts
- There is a chance that the Illinois online sportsbook registration may go away on Saturday, Sept. 19, and the in-person registration requirement will return.
- Sports Handle, 9.14.20 – Iowa Sport Betting Handle Rebounds, Clears $50 Million In August
- Reflecting the nationwide trend that came with more sports betting options in the month of August, bettors in Iowa did their part to be counted as the state’s Racing and Gaming Commission reported handle of $50.3 million.
- PlayIA, 9.14.20 – Iowa Casinos Interested In Pursuing Online Gaming
- Add Iowa to the list of states that will discuss online gaming legislation next year as a response to the coronavirus pandemic.
- KGAN, 9.14.20 – Sports Betting In Iowa Is Up Despite Pandemic And No Hawkeye Football
- Iowa is in year two of sports betting and some wonder if the state’s sportsbook will be OK.
- Fox 59, 9.14.20 – Indiana Sports Betting Revenue Bounces Back
- Indiana is benefiting from the success of sports betting during the pandemic.
- iGB North America, 9.15.20 – Oregon Lottery Sets Betting Handle Record In August
- Oregon’s SBTech-powered betting app scoreboard took in revenue of $1.7m, up 6.6%, in August, and set a new record for turnover at $25.8m, up 83.8%.