- Legal Sports Report: Feds Make Airport Arrest In $22 Million Offshore Sports Betting Ring
- Police arrested a man at JFK Airport in New York for allegedly running a $22 million illegal offshore sports betting operation, in connection with a decade-long RICO case. Richard Sullivan, a 73-year-old Antigua native, was taken into custody on Aug. 20 on counts of money laundering and racketeering issued by a federal grand jury in a 2010 offshore sports betting probe. Sullivan is alleged to be a principal in Sports Offshore.
- PlayUSA: What Are Unregulated ‘Skill Games’ And Why Should Consumers Be Concerned About Them?
- Many businesses, even smaller ones, are nearly always interested in ways to capture as much of their customers’ money as possible. In that interest, optimizing the number of ways that people can spend while patronizing those businesses is a goal. Gaming devices, sometimes operating in an illegal or legally grey area, can represent examples of that optimization.
- Associated Press: Players Credit The NFL And Union With Doing A Better Job Of Teaching When Sports Betting Isn’t OK
- Detroit wide receiver Jameson Williams and Tennessee right tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere begin six-game suspensions Tuesday for betting at work. At least they’ll be able to rejoin their teams this season. Other players caught up in a wave of gambling-related suspensions will be gone much longer, if they’re allowed to return at all.
- Business Insider: The 11 Sports-Betting And Online-Gambling Startups That Have Raised The Most Money In 2023
- The flow of funding to US sports-betting and online-gambling startups has slowed in the past two years, but companies including the digital lottery site Jackpot.com and the Joey Levy and Jake Paul-backed betting platform Betr are still managing to attract significant investment, new data from PitchBook shows.
- Legal Sports Report: Kansas Sports Betting Revenue Rises In July Amid Summer Slowdown
- Kansas sports betting handle reached $79.7 million in July, a 19% decrease from June ($98.1 million) and the lowest monthly total since KS sports betting began in September 2022. According to figures recently released by the Kansas Lottery, sportsbooks combined for $9.6 million in revenue, up from $8.1 million in June. Operators sent $683,000 back to the state in taxes.
- Gaming Today: Circa Ready at the Jump to Compete in Kentucky’s Sports Betting Market
- Among the nine sportsbooks approved this week in Kentucky is Circa Sports, the Las Vegas-based operator that has climbed to as high as third in market share in Nevada but finds itself on a different competitive landscape in other states. Kentucky, though, affords Circa the chance to be among the first sportsbooks ready to take bets when the state’s online sports betting market launches on Sept. 28.
- PlayMichigan: New PointsBet Promotion Clouds Launch Date Of Fanatics In Michigan
- Fanatics Betting & Gaming will be coming to Michigan sometime in the near future. But, does that mean it will be in 2023? The sports memorabilia franchise purchased PointsBet’s US assets with the intention of launching an online sportsbook and online casino in newly acquired states sometime this year. However, new advertising from PointsBet continues to show growth in its Michigan online casino product.
- News 12: Small Business Owners: Online Lottery Ticket Sales Will Hurt Our Businesses
- Some small business owners say that new rules allowing New Jersey Lottery tickets to be sold online will cut into their bottom line. The New Jersey Lottery Commission says that tickets can be sold online starting next fall. But some business owners and lawmakers alike say that the decision will hurt New Jersey’s small businesses and only favor the large corporations that will process the sales.
- PlayOhio: Fanatics Caps Off Busy Month In Ohio With New Retail Sportsbook In Columbus
- Fanatics Sportsbook will cap off a busy month of activity in Ohio with the opening of a new retail sportsbook in Columbus. Fanatics unveiled its new Ohio sportsbook location in Columbus’ Arena District on Aug. 24 with a special preview event. Fanatics Sportsbook Columbus was officially set to open the following day, Friday, Aug. 25.