Industry News of the Day for August 30, 2021
iDEA Growth Member News:
- NFL, 8.30.21: NFL Announces Agreements With Four Approved Sportsbook Operators (PointsBet mentioned)
- The National Football League (NFL) today announced it has reached agreements with FOX Bet, BetMGM, PointsBet, and WynnBET to become Approved Sportsbook Operators for the 2021 NFL season.
- Legal Sports Report, 8.28.21: Nearly All AZ Sportsbook Licenses Announced But Will Launch Be Delayed? (FanDuel, DraftKings, PointsBet, Golden Nugget mentioned)
- The Arizona Department of Gaming announced 18 of the 20 available licenses for AZ sportsbooks despite a potentially delayed launch.
Overall Industry News:
- Sports Handle, 8.30.21: Ben Affleck, Shaquille O’Neal Team Up For Fun WynnBET Spot
- WynnBET unveiled a TV ad Monday starring its biggest (literally and figuratively) brand ambassador, Shaquille O’Neal, and Oscar winner Ben Affleck, who also directed the spot.
- Sports Handle, 8.30.21: What’s On Tap: NFL Final Cuts, U.S. Open Early Rounds, And Alabama-Miami
- Each Monday, our “What’s on Tap” series previews the week ahead in the world of sports betting. Come here for a summary of upcoming financial happenings, legislative and regulatory meetings, industry conferences, top games scheduled for the week, and much more.
- Sports Handle, 8.28.21: Get A Grip —The Week In Sports Betting: Arizona (Pre)Launches, ESPN-Disney Seek $3B For Sportsbook Licensing, Canadian Provinces Live
- Here’s the weekend Sports Handle item, “Get a Grip,” recapping the week’s top U.S. sports betting stories, highlighting some fresh news, and rounding up key stories.
- Forbes, 8.29.21: States Must Update Sports Gambling Laws To Prevent Professors From Betting On Student Games
- Most of these states have taken reasonable steps to prevent athletes and game officials from betting on particular sports. But to date, no state has imposed a ban on college administrators or faculty members from betting on their students’ games.
- SBC, 8.30.21: California Governor signs new tribal-state gaming compacts
- A statement issued by the Governor’s office noted that each of the new compacts reflects the Governor’s and the tribes’ mutual commitment to a strong and respectful government-to-government relationship, and to promoting tribal economic development, tribal self-sufficiency and a strong tribal government.
- Legal Sports Report, 8.27.21: MD Sports Betting Moves Forward With State Register Publication
- The next step for MD sports betting took place Friday when the emergency rules were published in the Maryland Register.
- Biz Journals, 8.30.21: Indiana Punches Far Above Its Weight In Sports Betting; Here’s Where It Ranks
- Indiana ranks 17th in the nation in population, but it has quickly become a hotbed of sports betting, punching way above its weight, thanks in part to Cincinnatians.
- SBC, 8.30.21: Canadian Sports Betting Market Could Be Worth $25bn Annually According To Playcanada White Paper
- The Canadian legal sports betting market could eventually generate $25bn in retail and online wagering annually, in a best-case scenario that would include legalization of single-game wagering in every province and territory.