- Sports Handle, 2.22.19 – Get A Grip: The Week In Sports And Sports Betting: Indiana, North Dakota, And More
- It’s information overload everywhere, and there’s not time enough to sleep and eat and stay fully apprised of what’s happening on this crazy blue dot of ours (two out of three ain’t bad).
- Online Poker Report, 2.22.19 – West Virginia Online Gambling Bill Clears House, Progressing In Spite Of Wire Act Opinion
- West Virginia is positioning itself as one of the most progressive states in the country when it comes to gambling.
- US Bets, 2.22.19 – West Virginia Moves Toward Online Poker, Sharing Players With Other States
- Online casino gambling legislation moved quickly through the West Virginia House of Delagates this month. On Friday, a piece of legislation calling for online casinos cleared the House by a 72-22 vote.
- Play WV, 2.22.19 – West Virginia Ready To Gamble On Online Casino Gambling
- With West Virginia online sports betting already legal, legalized online poker and gambling moved one step closer to reality on Friday. The state’s House of Delegates passed H2934, the West Virginia Lottery Interactive Wager Act, 72-22, allowing for the five WV casinos to open online casinos.
- Sports Handle, 2.22.19 – Connecticut Sets First Sports Betting Hearing
- When Connecticut lawmakers held one of the first public hearings on sports betting in the nation in 2018, there were plenty of fireworks. Among the highlights was this gem from Joe Verrengia (D-District 20), the chairman of the Public Safety and Security Committee: “What I’m not for is legislation that in some way, shape or form would line the pockets of MLB, NBA or any other major sports owners.”
- The Day, 2.24.19 – Casino, sports betting bills scheduled for hearing Tuesday
- In his budget address last week, Gov. Ned Lamont mentioned the state’s need to “enact new sources of revenues, such as sports betting and internet wagering.”
- AP, 2.24.19 – Sports betting fans boosted by governor’s backing
- Proponents of legalized sports betting in New Hampshire believe backing from the governor is giving their proposal a boost.
- Chicago Tribune, 2.25.19 – As Gov. Pritzker proposes legal sports wagering in Illinois, Cubs place a bet on gambling media
- While Gov. J.B. Pritzker was proposing legalizing sports gambling in Illinois, the Cubs were making a bet of their own.
- Chicago Tribune, 2.23.19 – Pritzker banking on $200 million from legal sports betting, but efforts to expand gambling have never been easy in Illinois
- J.B. Pritzker is counting on $200 million in licensing fees from legalized sports wagering to help plug a $3.2 billion hole in next year’s state budget. But years of failed efforts to expand gambling in Illinois suggest his plan is no sure thing.
- Play USA, 2.22.19 – Which Governor Wants Sports Betting To Help With $1.1 Billion Budget?
- J.B. Pritzker has set high expectations for Illinois sports betting. During his first budget speech on Wednesday, Pritzker asked for $1.1 billion in new revenue, $212 million of which from legalized sports betting.
- Card Player, 2.22.19 – New Illinois Governor Has Revenue From Legal Sports Betting In His Budget
- The new governor of Illinois is hoping that legalizing sports betting will help fix the state’s budget problems. Democrat J.B. Pritzker took office at the start of the year after defeating incumbent Republican Bruce Rauner last November, and proposed his budget to the state legislature on Wednesday.
- Gaming Intelligence, 2.25.19 – Delaware sports betting market takes in $11.9m in January
- The total value of wagers fell by 26 per cent compared to the previous month, with Delaware Park generating more than two-thirds of the total with $8.1m.
- Casino News Daily, 2.24.19 – In Historic Move, Virginia Legislature Passes Casino Legalization Bill
- The Virginia General Assembly supports the legalization of casino gambling and development of casinos in certain areas across the state.
- WKZO AM/FM, 2.22.19 – Iden continues to push for online gambling
- Oshtemo House Representative Brandt Iden says he worked for two years to get online gambling bills passed in the last session, building coalitions, educating lawmakers and refining the legislation until it finally passed in Lame Duck.
- Joplin Globe, 2.22.19 – Missouri explores legalizing sports betting
- After the U.S. Supreme Court last year struck down a federal law that disallowed sports betting in most of the country, multiple bills that would legalize gambling on sports have been filed in the Missouri Legislature.
- Boston Herald, 2.25.19 – Sports’ great gamble: Betting is big business
- In this moment of calm between Super Bowl squares and March Madness brackets, take a peak behind the curtain of the fledgling legalized US sports betting industry.
- The Journal Gazette, 2.24.19 – Casino bill rolls on, minus city
- There is movement afoot in the Indiana gaming industry as lawmakers consider the most significant gambling bill since it was legalized 25 years ago. But Fort Wayne is not part of the discussion.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.22.19 – Arkansas Sports Betting Rules Clear Key Hurdle As State Inches Toward Launch
- The state racing commission pushed Arkansas sports betting a step closer to reality Thursday by approving governing rules. The Arkansas Racing Commission issued proposed rules in January following state voters approving legal sports betting in November.
- AP, 2.22.19 – Arkansas Racing Commission approves new rules for casinos
- The Arkansas Racing Commission has approved regulations for the state’s new casinos, including one that could affect plans for a casino in Pope County.
- Phoenix Business Journal, 2.23.19 – Betting on sports teams in Arizona faces resistance from some tribes
- Nearly a month after a sports wagering bill was introduced in the Arizona Legislature, it has bogged down. The bill’s author says three tribes were against the bill, which would allow sports gambling on Native American land through electronic kiosks and certain establishments that serve liquor.
- AZ Big Media, 2.22.19 – Sports betting still on hold in Arizona
- Ten months after the U.S. Supreme Court cleared a path for states to allow gambling on sporting events, a movement is underway to allow Arizonans to wager on their favorite teams.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.22.19 – Iowa Sports Betting Legislation Moving Swiftly Through Statehouse
- Mirroring Iowa sports betting bills are quickly advancing in the state legislature. On Thursday, Senate Study Bill 1168 passed the Senate State Government Committee on an 8-6 vote.
- KIWA Radio, 2.24.19 – Sports Betting Bills Ready For Committee Action In Iowa House & Senate
- The Iowa House and Senate are considering two similar plans to legalize sports betting after hearing from several competing interests that want a stake in the potential new industry. Both would allow casinos to host in-person and mobile sports betting.
- Northwest Iowa Review, 2.23.19 – Iowa trying to bet big
- Iowa may soon be betting on sports gambling, legally that is. Of course, it already is. While the Iowa Legislature and Gov. Kim Reynolds discuss, debate and prepare to divide the spoils of sports betting in the state, the reality is, it’s already here. Like Americans in all 50 states, we bet on sporting events all the time.
- CBS 2, 2.2.19 – Casinos would get power over sports betting in new proposal
- Iowa’s 19 casinos are the winner in new legislation aimed at bringing sports gambling to Iowa.
- Washington Post, 2.22.19 – Democratic congressman apparently drops scrutiny of D.C.’s online gambling contract
- A member of Congress raised objections to the District’s plan to award a sole source contract to run the city’s new and potentially lucrative venture into online sports gambling.
Sports League News:
- Legal Sports Report, 2.22.19 – NBA: Donaghy Case Underscores Need For ‘Greater Access To Betting Data’
- The NBA issued a lengthy statement in response to a recent ESPN report digging back into the decade-old scandal involving former referee Tim Donaghy. And it used it as a platform to address legal sports wagering.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Seeking Alpha, 2.22.19 – 888 Holdings Acquires Online Gambling Brands In Consolidation Push
- 888 Holdings has acquired a number of UK online bingo and gambling properties for $23 million.
- CTech, 2.24.19 – Online Gambling Company 888 Holdings Buys Bingo Assets for $23.5 Million
- Online gambling company 888 Holdings PLC has announced last week it will pay 18 million pounds ($23.5 million) in cash for certain bingo assets of Jet Management Group Limited and Jet Media Ltd. 12 million pounds will be paid at the closing of the transaction, and the rest in September. Jet belongs to the JPJ Group PLC.
- Gaming Intelligence, 2.25.19 – Golden Nugget launches SBTech-powered online sportsbook in New Jersey
- Golden Nugget’s online players can now place pre-match and live bets via desktop and mobile on more than 14 sports and 90 competitions.
Overall Industry News:
- Variety, 2.22.19 – Sports-Betting Venture Action Network Raises $17.5 Million From Ex-UFC Owners, Chernin Group, Pro Sports Teams
- All bets are on for the Action Network, the sports-wagering content and analytics roll-up formed by Peter Chernin’s Chernin Group. The company closed $17.5 million in Series B funding led by Fertitta Capital, the investment firm of former UFC owners Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta.