Overall Industry News:
- Online Poker Report, 2.6.20 – Study: Online Gamblers Unhappy With Registration, Verification Process
- An industry report released Wednesday shows that online gambling companies are losing potential customers to frustrations with the sign-up process.
- Gambling Compliance, 2.7.20 – Penn National Aiming To Be Most Profitable U.S. Sportsbook Operator (subscription paywall)
- Following the announcement of its partnership with Barstool Sports last week, Penn National’s chief executive has said he believes the company should be the most profitable sportsbook in any market in which it operates.
Sports League News:
- Legal Sports Report, 2.6.20 – The NFL Is Hiring Its First Vice President Of Sports Betting
- The NFL is on the hunt for its first vice president of sports betting. According to a job description circulating among headhunters, the new role will oversee the league’s betting initiatives.
- Yahoo! Sports, 2.6.20 – Report: NFL Looking To Hire A Vice President Of Sports Betting
- The NFL resisted any connection to gambling for decades. Now, it’s hiring a vice president that will specialize in betting.
- Associated Press, 2.7.20 – Betting Could Be ‘X’ Factor For New Pro Football League
- Knowing its season begins less than a week after one of the biggest betting events in America, the new XFL is embracing sports betting in a major way.
- ESPN, 2.6.20 – How To Bet On The XFL: What You Need To Know
- The XFL launches Saturday and will showcase a heavy emphasis on sports betting.
- SBC Americas, 2.7.20 – FOX Bet Signs Up As An Authorized Gaming Partner Of The XFL
- Mobile sports betting brand FOX Bet has firmed up a deal with the XFL that makes it an authorized gaming operator of the league.
- Associated Press, 2.6.20 – MLB May Alter Rules On Owners, Casino Gambling
- Major League Baseball may alter its regulations on team owners and casino gambling in a manner that could impact the Ilitch family.
- WNEP, 2.6.20 – Carlucci: Sports Betting Will Help Harness Racing
- Mohegan Sun Pocono President and GM Tony Carlucci says the addition of sports betting at the casino can only help harness racing.
- Associated Press, 2.6.20 – Maine Senate Overrides Governor’s Veto On Sports Betting
- The Maine Senate kept alive a proposal to allow sports betting in the state, voting 20-10 Thursday to override the governor’s veto. The bill now faces a vote in the House, likely next week.
- Sports Handle, 2.6.20 – Maine Senate Overrides Sports Betting Veto, Sets State On Path For Legal Wagering
- In a state that is about as far East as possible in the U.S., the phrase “Wild, Wild West” came up in Maine Thursday when the Senate overrode Governor Janet Mills’ veto of a bill to legalize sports wagering, 20-10.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.6.20 – Narrow Senate Override Puts Maine Sports Betting One Step Away From Reality
- The state Senate voted Thursday narrowly to override Gov. Janet Mills’ veto of legislation to legalize Maine sports betting.
- Gambling Compliance, 2.7.20 – Maine Senate Overrides Governor’s Sports-Betting Veto (subscription paywall)
- After suffering a near-fatal setback in the form of a governor’s veto last month, sports betting in Maine is one step away from becoming a reality following the state Senate successfully overriding the veto on Thursday.
- WGME, 2.6.20 – Maine Lawmakers Still Split After Senate Overturns Governor’s Veto On Sports Gambling Bill
- Online sports betting is one step closer to becoming law in Maine.
- Mass Live, 2.6.20 – Legalized Sports Betting May Be On The Horizon In Massachusetts
- More than a year and a half after the Supreme Court gave states the green light to take legal bets on sports, the legislative committee that’s been studying the issue and considering the possibility of bringing it to Massachusetts looks to be approaching the end of its process.
- Associated Press, 2.7.20 – Court Rules Fantasy Sports Contests Are Illegal Gambling
- Daily fantasy contests like those operated by FanDuel and DraftKings face an uncertain future in New York after an appellate court ruled Thursday that a 2016 law legalizing such games violated a constitutional prohibition on gambling.
- New York Post, 2.6.20 – NY Appellate Court Rules Fantasy-Sports Betting Is Unconstitutional
- A New York appellate court ruled Thursday that online fantasy sports betting constitutes illegal gambling, upholding a lower court ruling that a 2016 law allowing it violated the state’s constitution.
- Sports Handle, 2.6.20 – State Of DFS In New York Just Got Even Murkier
- If a legislature declares that a certain activity does not qualify as gambling, is that enough to ensure its legality?
- Legal Sports Report, 2.6.20 – Strike Two For New York Daily Fantast Sports: Court Rules 2016 Law Is Unconstitutional
- The future of regulated daily fantasy sports is very much in jeopardy in New York.
- Washington City Paper, 2.6.20 – More Than A Year After Legalization Sports Betting Is Slowly Materializing In DC
- The confusing, contested road to legal sports betting in the District has been filled with roadblocks and potholes.
- Gambling.Com, 2.6.20 – Virginia Sports Betting And Casino Bills Eye Finish Line
- Sweeping bills to permit legal sports betting and casino gaming for the first time in Virginia history are closer than ever after lawmakers advanced measures to do both with lopsided support during committee votes this week.
- Milwaukee Business Journal, 2.6.20 – Americans Wagered Record $13B On Legal Sports Betting In 2019, But Not In Wisconsin
- In Wisconsin, there is no legislation planned this year to legalize sports betting, though neighboring states are getting in on the action.
- The Topeka Capital-Journal, 2.6.20 – Kansas House Chairman Offers Alternative Sports Wagering Bill
- A sports gambling bill introduced in the Kansas House goes beyond legislation in the Senate by allowing up to 1,200 licensed retailers as well as the state’s four casinos to take bets on athletic events under a system administered by the state lottery.
- PlayIA, 2.6.20 – Iowa Is First In BetFred’s New Wave Of Sports Betting Expansion
- Iowa is first in the nation in terms of presidential nominating contests. Another company that sees Iowa as primary is the Betfred sportsbook.
- Sports Handle, 2.6.20 – Kentucky Governor: ‘The Time Is Now’ For Sports Betting
- In a full-throated endorsement on Thursday of legal sports betting in Kentucky, Governor Andy Beshear held a press conference all but demanding that the state General Assembly pass HB 137, the bill that would make sports wagering legal in a state best known for bourbon and horse racing.
- Louisville Courier Journal, 2.6.20 – Sports Betting Could Be Coming To Kentucky. Here’s What To Know
- There’s a lot of confusion about sports betting in the commonwealth. Here’s what to know about the proposal now before the legislature and what could happen if the bill becomes law.
- WKYT, 2.6.20 – Lexington Forum Hosts Debate On Sports Wagering Bill
- Sports betting is a key part of Governor Andy Beshear’s plan for 2020, but the controversial topic has sparked debate across the Commonwealth.
- KUNC, 2.6.20 – There’s A Lot Left To Do Before Sports Betting Begins In Colorado In May
- Last November, Coloradans voted to legalize sports betting by passing Proposition DD.
- Albuquerque Journal, 2.6.20 – So Far, No Concerns For Bets On Lobos, Ags
- About six months after Isleta Resort & Casino became the first Albuquerque area location accepting legal sports bets on the New Mexico Lobos and New Mexico State Aggies, it appears the imminent disaster and scandals some feared haven’t yet taken form.
- The Seattle Times, 2.6.20 – Sports Gambling Takes Next Step Towards Legalization In Washington State. Here’s Where Things Stand.
- Some form of legalized sports betting in Washington state appears closer than ever after two legislative votes in recent days moved proposed companion bills another step toward full approval.