iDEA Growth Member News:
- PlayUSA, 1.13.20 – Michigan Online Gambling Scores Its First Partnerships. Who Will Follow?
- Michigan got its first pair of sports betting partnership deals just over a week into the new year. On Jan. 6, both PointsBet and The Stars Group announced partnerships. They will create entries into the Michigan sports betting and general gaming market.
- Forbes, 1.13.20 – Gambling Revenues Are No Jackpot For New Jersey Or Pennsylvania
- It’s no secret that the perpetual quest by states and localities for additional revenue has led to an expansion of legalized gambling.
Overall Industry News:
- The Wall Street Journal, 1.14.20 – MGM Resorts Agree To Sell MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay To Joint Venture Including Blackstone
- MGM Resorts International MGM agreed to sell the MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay resorts and casinos on the Las Vegas Strip to a joint venture that includes private-equity and real estate giant Blackstone Group Inc.
- Gambling Compliance, 1.14.20 – Responsible Gambling Collaborative Urges States To Designate Funds For Treatment, Prevention (subscription paywall)
- A group of academics, researchers, advocacy groups and gaming organizations have joined forces to unify the industry to drive problem and responsible gambling efforts, while promoting responsible gambling programs across the U.S.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.13.20 – The Advantage Allowing William Hill To Upgrade Its US Sports Betting Forecast
- William Hill upgraded the outlook for its US business to ‘break-even’ for 2019 on the back of wagering growth and “disciplined investment.”
- Online Poker Report, 1.13.20 – Parx Signs Online Casino Deals With Everi For Steppers, Evolution For Live-Dealer
- Parx has struck an online content partnership deal with Everi Holdings to expand its catalogue of online slots offerings.
- SBC Americas, 1.13.20 – Betting On Sports America 2020 Expo Space Nearly Sold Out
- The phenomenal level of interest in Betting on Sports America 2020 means that booth space in the expo hall is selling quickly, with the entire floor set to be booked out months ahead of the event.
- Gambling Compliance, 1.14.20 – Tribal Sports-Betting Bill Likely To Meet Pushback From Indian Country (subscription paywall)
- A federal bill that would allow gaming tribes to make mobile sports bets without oversight from state governments is likely to draw stiff resistance from the Indian gaming industry, according to a former chief of staff for the National Indian Gaming Commission.
- SBC Americas, 1.14.20 – Mobile Sports Betting In New York: The Next Crucial Phase Begins
- The ongoing issue of mobile sports betting in New York is set to enter its next crucial phase this week with Governor Andrew Cuomo preparing to unveil his executive state budget proposal on Thursday.
- Gaming Intelligence, 1.14.20 – New York Mobile Sports Betting Bill Passes First Committee
- Senator Joseph Addabbo’s bill to authorise online sports betting in New York gained unanimous support from the Senate Racing, Gaming and Wagering Committee Monday.
- PlayPennsylvania, 1.13.20 – Wind Creek Bethlehem Finds Sports Betting Partner In UK-Based BetFred
- The Pennsylvania Gaming and Control Board’s agenda for their meeting Wednesday contains an item pertaining to conditional approval of a BetFred sports operator license.
- Penn Bets, 1.13.20 – Pennsylvania Approach To Sports Betting Is Winning Some Respect, Finally
- Two years ago Pennsylvania was pilloried by gambling industry advocates and analysts for enacting a sports betting tax rate of 36% they denounced as unrealistically exorbitant.
- Penn Bets, 1.13.20 – FanDuel Exec: Brand Strength, Product Quality, Fun Factor Driving Sportsbook Success In PA
- The December 2019 sports betting handle and revenue figures will be released by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board later this week, and we have a spoiler for you: FanDuel Sportsbook will be No. 1 in the state.
- Sports Handle, 1.13.20 – Veto Override Attempt Coming In Maine
- In the three days since Maine Governor Janet Mills vetoed a sports betting bill, Mainers have voiced their discontent in a big way, through an editorial in the Bangor News and with a host of heated and angry comments on Twitter.
- Portland Press Herald, 1.14.20 – Lawmakers Face Lobbying Before Override Vote On Mills’ Veto Of Sports Betting
- Lobbyists for the sports betting industry are training their sights on Maine lawmakers this week, hoping to convince them to override Gov. Janet Mills’ veto last week of a bill to legalize sports betting.
- LEX 18, 1.14.20 – Anti-Gambling Forces Target Sports Betting Push
- While legislators in Frankfort don’t appear to be going all in on expanded gambling, the odds that sports betting passes the General Assembly may be good.
- Kentucky Today, 1.13.20 – Sports Wagering Bill On Deck Before Legislative Committee Wednesday
- A sports wagering bill will have its first consideration by a legislative committee this week.
- The Augusta Chronicle, 1.13.20 – Gambling Push Hits Resistance
- Georgia Senate leaders cast doubt on the prospects for new legalized gambling Monday on the first day of the 2020 legislative session.
- Valdosta Daily Times, 1.13.20 – Lawmakers Pass On Gambling
- Gov. Geoff Duncan and the Senate Majority Caucus both told the press Monday gambling is not on their priority list this year.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.13.20 – The Insidious Elements In New Competing Sports Betting Bills
- The House of Delegates currently has its pick of two Virginia sports betting bills that call for lottery oversight but have little else in common.
- Blue Ridge Public Radio, 1.13.20 – Eastern Band Of Cherokee Propose Casino In Virginia
- The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians are hoping to expand their gaming operations outside North Carolina.
- Gambling Compliance, 1.14.20 – DC Lottery Plans March Launch For Mobile Betting App (subscription paywall)
- As private sports-betting operators continue to work their way through the application process in the District of Columbia, a DC Lottery official has said the lottery is hoping to launch its own mobile sports-betting product in March.
- WSN, 1.14.20 – Washington DC Betting App Hopes To Launch In March
- After months of legal entanglements that brought lawsuits and resignations to the district’s Council, Washington D.C. is close to the finish line after the announcement that a sports betting mobile app will be available to area bettors in March.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.14.20 – 2020 Vision: Connecticut Sports Betting Ready To Narrow Focus
- Connecticut sports betting presents a tricky situation. Gambling entities in the state are limited to two powerful Indian tribes and the state lottery, but private casino interests have been trying to make an entrance for years.
- Indianapolis Star, 1.13.20 – Indiana’s Sports Betting Obsession: Gamblers Wagered $436 Million In 4 Months
- The money shelled out on sports bets in Indiana during the state’s first four months of legal gambling was more than the advertising revenue raked in for the Super Bowl.
- Eagle Country Online, 1.13.20 – Indiana Gaming Commission Releases Year-End Sports Betting Numbers
- The Indiana Gaming Commission’s year-end report shows that 11 casinos throughout the state handled more than $274 million in sports bets between September and December.
- Globe Gazette, 1.13.20 – Is Iowa Sports Betting Leveling Off?
- After a race-horse start out of the Aug. 15 gates, legal wagering on professional and collegiate sporting events may be starting to level off in Iowa.
- The State Journal-Register, 1.14.20 – Pritzker Hopes To Build On 1st-Year Accomplishments
- Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker has set out a to-do list as his second year in office begins: work with the General Assembly to ease the local property-tax burden, root out corruption, and bring jobs to the state.
- South Coast Today, 1.13.20 – RI Cashes In As More Bet, And Lose, On Sports
- Rhode Island sports betting profits climbed again in November as gamblers lost $2.7 million at Twin River casinos and online, the most since the state launched legal sports betting in November 2018.
- Turn To 10, 1.13.20 – Report: Rhode Island Sportsbook Revenue Reached $2.5M In December 2019
- The Rhode Island sportsbook closed out 2019 with almost two-and-a-half-times more revenue than the previous December, according to a lottery report released Monday.
- Detroit Sports Nation, 1.13.20 – State Of Michigan Follows The Neighborhood And Legalizes Sports Betting
- The state of Michigan became the 20th in the United States of America to allow sports betting.
- The Nevada Independent, 1.14.20 – Nevada Gaming Attorneys Caution Lawmakers On Sports Betting; ‘You Really Have To Give It Some Serious Thought’
- At a weekend conference attended by state lawmakers seeking advice on aspects of casino expansion, a panel of Nevada gaming attorneys tried to tamp down visions of revenues flowing into tax coffers through legalized sports betting.
- WESH, 1.13.20 – Education, Abortion, Sports Betting On 2020 Florida Legislative Agenda
- The 60-day legislative session kicks off Tuesday, and while what’s known as “the process” has evolved over the years, some things remain the same.