Industry News of the Day for July 28, 2020
iDEA Growth Member News:
- SBC Americas, 7.28.20 – Tipico Integrates NetEnt Game Content For New Jersey Launch
- Germany-based global sportsbook operator Tipico claims it will be ready with a suite of games on day one of its launch in the regulated New Jersey sports wagering market thanks to a tie-up with digital gaming systems provider NetEnt.
- iGB North America, 7.28.20 – Tipico Brings In NetEnd To Support New Jersey Launch
- German betting and gaming operator Tipico has entered into a new partnership with NetEnt, as it continues preparations for its launch in New Jersey.
- SBC Americas, 7.28.20 – DraftKings Becomes Official Betting Operator Of PGA Tour
- Sportsbook operator DraftKings has been appointed as the PGA TOUR’s first Official Betting Operator following the expansion of the two organisations’ multi-year content and marketing relationship this week.
- Gambling.Com, 7.28.20 – DraftKings Is 1st Official PGA Tour Sports Betting Operator
- The PGA Tour has announced that DraftKings will be its first “official betting operator.”
- Legal Sports Report, 7.27.20 – The Week In Sports Betting News: Making A Big Mess Even Bigger And Messier
- Major sports are back with MLB‘s return last week, but sports betting enthusiasts are waiting impatiently to see what the news of a coronavirus outbreak in the Miami Marlins‘ clubhouse will mean for the season.
Overall Industry News:
- Sports Handle, 7.27.20 – Rush Street To Go Public, Becoming Latest Sports Betting Operator To Join SPAC Party
- Rush Street Interactive entered into a definitive merger agreement with dMY Technology Group Inc. on Monday, becoming the latest prominent sports betting operator to forego a traditional path for going public by joining forces with a special-purpose acquisition company.
- Legal Sports Report, 7.27.20 – Another SPAC Deal Helps Rush Street Interactive Take BetRivers Public
- Another US online gaming brand is going public as BetRivers‘ parent company, Rush Street Interactive, will trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- SBC Americas, 7.27.20 – Delivering Actionable Metrics Not Just Meaningless Numbers
- John Donovan, Founder and CEO of Because We Can Media, spoke with SBC Americas this week about the importance of partnerships, branding and maximizing opportunities in the rapidly growing US sports betting market.
- PlayPennsylvania, 7.27.20 – PA Congressman, AGA Push To Repeal ‘Antiquated Federal Taxes’ On Legal Sportsbooks
- The co-chairs of Congressional Gaming Caucus, which include a Pennsylvania Congressman, have proposed bipartisan legislation to repeal the federal excise tax and head taxes on legal sportsbooks.
- US Bets, 7.28.20 – Federal Tax On Sportsbooks To Be A Casualty Of COVID-19?
- The ongoing worldwide pandemic is leading to a review of even some of the most longstanding traditions across all industries — and that includes U.S. gaming.
Sports League News:
- PlayUSA, 7.27.20 – Can The NFL Start On Time? What We Know So Far
- The public health crisis has managed to delay or postpone the start of major sports across the US. After a four-month hiatus, the NBA, MLB, and NHL are finally kicking into gear. Now, all eyes are on the National Football League (NFL) to see if it can begin on time.
- Boston Herald, 7.27.20 – Sports Betting, Lottery Sales A ‘No-Brainer’ To Raise Revenue, Create Jobs, Advocates Say
- Sports betting could expand from casinos online and into restaurants and bars should lawmakers approve two fair-play amendments tucked inside a mammoth economic development bill that also aims to tackle housing, transportation bonds, carbon taxes and more.
- iGB North America, 7.28.20 – MA Amendments Double Betting Tax And Add iLottery Component
- The Massachusetts legislature has amended sports wagering bill put forward last week, adding provisions to legalize online lotteries, but doubling the tax rate for online betting.
- Online Poker Report, 7.27.20 – Four Lessons From The First Year Of Legal Online Gambling In Pennsylvania
- July 15 marked the end of an eventful first year of legal online gambling in Pennsylvania.
- PlayPennsylvania, 7.27.20 – Live! Casino Bullish On PA Expansion With New Executive VP Joe Billhimer At The Helm
- Gaming veteran Joe Billhimer has joined the Cordish Gaming Group as executive vice president to help launch the company’s Live! expansion into Pennsylvania.
- PlayUSA, 7.27.20 – Detroit, Michigan Casino Revenue Takes Nose Dive In June
- Casino revenue in Detroit took a giant nose dive in June, showing yet again how crippling the global pandemic has been to the gambling industry.
- Sports Handle, 7.27.20 – Pritzker’s Choice To Roll Back Remote Sports Betting Registration In Illinois ‘Terrible’
- Reaction from Illinois stakeholders to Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s decision to end the period of remote registration for legal sports wagering accounts, less than two months after he initially allowed it to begin, was swift and harsh on Sunday.
- Gambling Compliance, 7.28.20 – Co-Branding Linked To Halt Of Remote Registration In Illinois (subscription paywall)
- Just when it looked like Illinois was ready to plunge headlong into the online sports-betting market, Governor J.B. Pritzker decided to call a timeout.
- KCRG, 7.27.20 – Casinos, Sports Books, See Big Boom In Bets Now That Professional Sports Start To Resume
- While Iowa does not have any major league teams, it does have legalized sports betting. Now with sports set to start again, sportsbooks are preparing for a boom in business, compared to when the pandemic began in the United States.