iDEA Growth Member News:
- SBC Americas, 3.11.20 – EPIC Risk Management And GVC Team Up To Minimize Gambling Harm In US
- EPIC Risk Management, the independent gambling harm minimization consultancy, and sports betting group GVC Holdings have formed a partnership which aims to minimize gambling related harm throughout the US.
- DraftKings Nation, 3.12.20 – What Coronavirus Impact Means For Sports Betting, DFS At DraftKings
- DraftKings has shut down all betting on the NBA for the time being. DK announced that all bets for last night’s cancelled games will be voided and bettors will get their money back for the wagers.
- US Bets, 3.11.20 – Sports Betting Gray Areas: What You Can And Can’t Wager On From State To State
- In any state in which you can legally place sports wagers (Illinois brought that total to 15 on Monday), there are plenty of sports and types of bets that are universally available. But there are also gray areas.
Overall Industry News:
- Gambling Compliance, 3.12.20 – US Travel Ban For Europeans, NBA Suspension Pound Gaming Stocks (subscription paywall)
- A coronavirus-triggered US travel ban for most foreigners from Europe has hammered US and Asian markets anew, while the suspension of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and likely other major sports is set to damage listed corporate bookmakers in Australia and Europe.
- Gambling Compliance, 3.12.20 – US Gaming Industry Braces For Impact Of COVID-19
- Casinos and regulators are taking extra precautions and changing policies due to the outbreak of COVID-19, as U.S. health officials say the number of cases has surpassed 1,050, with at least 35 deaths.
- Law360, 3.11.20 – Sports Groups Ask Justices To Reverse Betting Bond Suit Win (subscription paywall)
- The NCAA and professional sports leagues are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to reverse a Third Circuit ruling that a New Jersey racetrack can collect a $3.4 million bond put up while a legal fight over betting played out.
Sports League News:
- Gambling Compliance, 3.12.20 – Forget Integrity Fee, Leagues Winning Battle For Official Data (subscription paywall)
- Virginia is the latest state to give the nation’s major sports leagues what they are seeking – a big piece of the betting pie.
- Penn Bets, 3.11.20 – Caesars Gives Pennsylvania A Ninth Online Sportsbook Through Harrah’s Philadelphia
- Pennsylvanians now have a ninth online/mobile option for sports wagering, with Harrah’s Philadelphia getting in the game with a soft launch this week.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.12.20 – Can Rhode Island Sports Betting Ever Overcome In-Person Requirement?
- The latest customer figures for Rhode Island sports betting continue to highlight the limitations of an in-person registration requirement.
- NHPR, 3.11.20 – 10 More Communities Approve Sports Betting Retail Locations
- Voters in 10 communities gave in-person sports betting the green light during Town Meeting elections Tuesday.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.12.20 – Can Public Support For Mobile NY Sports Betting Sway Politicians?
- A recent survey shows that 61% of New Yorkers support legalizing mobile NY sports betting in the Empire State.
- Sports Handle, 3.11.20 – Maryland Senate OKs State-Wide Mobile Sports Betting
- Just two days after the General Assembly in neighboring Virginia shipped a legal sports betting bill to the governor’s desk, the Maryland Senate on Tuesday unanimously approved a bill that would send the decision about legalizing sports wagering to the state’s voters. SB 4, which moved forward on a 47-0 vote, will now head to the House of Delegates.
- PressBox Online, 3.11.20 – What State Senate Vote Means For Legalized Sports Gambling In Maryland
- If legislation were a football drive, legalized sports gambling in Maryland made an impressive gain on first down when the state senate approved its version of a sports wagering bill, 47-0, March 10.
- Sports Handle, 3.11.20 – MGM Grand Detroit To Usher In Legal Michigan Sports Betting
- Michigan became the 16th state to accept legal sports wagers and the second in three days on Wednesday, when the MGM Grand Detroit opened its Moneyline Sports Lounge to the public.
- PlayUSA, 3.11.20 – Michigan Sports Betting Set To Launch In Time For March Madness
- Rest assured, sports betting is coming to Michigan, and it’s coming sooner than you think.
- Crain’s Detroit Business, 3.11.20 – Detroit Casinos Clean Up Amid Coronavirus, Sports Betting Launch
- Detroit’s casinos saw a big revenue jump in February as they prepare to take legal sports wagers Wednesday and institute precautions against coronavirus as the first cases are confirmed in Michigan.
- WWMT, 3.11.20 – Some West Michigan Casinos Not Ready For Sports Betting On College Basketball Tournaments
- Heading into college basketball’s tournament season, there is an air of uncertainty as to whether games will even be played amid concerns of the spreading Coronavirus Disease 2019, or COVID-19 virus.
- Yahoo! Finance, 3.11.20 – Michigan Sports Bettors Can Finally Place Their Bets, But Work Remains Before Market Matures
- Detroit casinos launch sportsbooks, but Michigan won’t yet reach its potential without online betting, according to PlayMichigan.com analysts.
- The Ottawa Herald, 3.11.20 – House Raises Stakes By Adding Retailers To Sports Betting Bill
- The Kansas Senate passed a sports wagering bill that directed all sports wagering business to the state’s four casinos, but the House Federal and State Affairs Committee began exploration of an alternative that would bring lottery retailers into the mix and potentially provide an opening for the horse and dog racing industries.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.11.20 – How Illinois Sports Betting Is Using Online Without Going Online
- The first Chicago-area sportsbook is finding a way to use the internet despite the delayed launch of mobile Illinois sports betting.
- Chicago Sun Times, 3.11.20 – Coronavirus Muffles March Madness But Not Illinois’ New Sports Betting Industry – Yet
- The state’s most profitable casino hit its goal earlier this week of ushering in Illinois sports betting in time for March Madness.
- Online Poker Report, 3.11.20 – Will Kentucky Get Caught Looking At Online Poker Again In 2020?
- Kentucky is once again behind in the count on gambling legislation in 2020.
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 3.11.20 – Legislation To Expand Gambling In Georgia Clears House Panel
- After nearly a year of study, a House panel on Wednesday approved legislation that would ask Georgians whether they think the state should expand gambling.
- Helena Independent Record, 3.11.20 – Sports Betting Begins In Montana
- Ten crews from the Montana Lottery and its vendor, Intralot, pre-positioned around the state Tuesday and started installing betting terminals and training people Wednesday at the locations where bets will be offered.
- KRTV, 3.11.20 – Sports Bet Montana Goes Live
- The Montana Lottery Commission voted February 20 to approve the kinds of bets people can make, and which sports they can bet on, for “Sports Bet Montana.”
- KTVH, 3.11.20 – Sports Betting Is Now Available In Montana
- Several licensed locations had their Sports Bet Montana kiosks installed on Wednesday Mar. 11. The Montana Lottery will be rolling out more than a hundred kiosks to locations across the state in the coming days.