iDEA Growth in the News:
- Hannah Capital Connection, 5.8.19 – Greenspan Stresses Support For Mobile Sports Gambling During IP Meeting (iDEA Growth members Jeff Ifrah, John Pappas, Mark Hemmerle and Sarah Koch mentioned in article)
- It has always been his intention to allow mobile and online betting under any legal sports gambling program in Ohio, Rep. Dave Greenspan (R-Westlake) said Wednesday. Speaking with members of Internet gambling trade group iDEA Growth during an interested party (IP) meeting on HB194 (Greenspan-Kelly) in the Riffe Center, Greenspan said mobile betting is critical for persuading sports gamblers to play in the legal market instead of continuing to use unregulated offshore websites.
Industry News: New York
- AP, 5.9.19 – NY Lawmakers Mull Sports Betting On Mobile Devices
- New York lawmakers are taking a closer look at authorizing sports betting on smart phones — and whether it would require a change to the state Constitution. The Democrat-led state Senate held a hearing on the issue Wednesday that attracted gambling lobbyists, attorneys and representatives from the NBA and PGA.
- New York Upstate, 5.9.19 – Sports Betting In New York: Going Mobile And Other Things To Know
- Legal sports betting is coming to New York state. Probably. Maybe in time for the 2019-2020 NFL season. Possibly with online bets. That’s about as clear as things stand on this contentious issue for the moment.
- Newsday, 5.8.19 – NBA, PGA Support Revamped Plan To Allow Mobile Sports Betting In NY
- NBA and PGA officials came to New York on Wednesday to urge legislators to legalize “mobile” sports betting, saying it would root out illegal gambling and prevent New York from losing potential revenue to other states. New York in January moved forward to permit in-person sports betting at existing casinos in the state.
- US Bets, 5.9.19 – With Focus On Sports Betting, New York’s Interest In Online Poker In Deep Freeze
- A widely viewed and anticipated hearing on Wednesday in Albany focused on New York State’s future in sports betting, explicitly whether or not the state will authorize mobile sports wagering in the near future. Already with retail sports betting on tap, New York lawmakers have taken a hard look at bets over the internet.
- Online Poker Report, 5.9.19 – An Early Look At What Live Dealer Might Look Like For PA Online Casinos
- With online casinos in Pennsylvania set to go live in July, one question is what the situation will be for live dealer games. Will they be present at launch or soon afterwards, or will they be a long time coming? In New Jersey, nearly three years elapsed between the launch of the first online casinos and the addition of live dealer games, and it was another two years before they became widespread. In Pennsylvania, however, there’s a lot of reason to expect a faster timeline.
- Indianapolis Star, 5.9.19 – Holcomb Signs Bill Legalizing Sports Betting, Allowing Lucrative Casino Industry Changes
- Eric Holcomb on Wednesday signed a controversial gaming bill that legalizes mobile sports wagering and allows for a new Terre Haute casino. In a late-afternoon statement announcing his decision, Holcomb called gaming a “highly regulated industry” that faces competition from surrounding states and through new technology.
- MLive, 5.9.19 – Indiana Becomes 10th State In US, 1st In Midwest To Legalize Sports Betting
- Indiana is officially joining the ranks of states to legalize sports betting, and the state also announced this week that it would allow construction of two new casinos.
- WNDU, 5.9.19 – Legal Sports Betting Begins Day Before ND Opener
- The day before Notre Dame’s first football game of the season will mark the day sports betting becomes legal in Indiana. This week, Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb signed a bill that sets the debut date for Sept. 1.
- Illinois News Network, 5.9.19 – Pro Leagues To Get Royalties Under Proposed Illinois Sports Betting Measure
- Expanding gambling to include sports betting was on the table in Springfield on Wednesday with representatives from professional sports leagues there to tell lawmakers what they want from wagering on their games.
- Chicago Tribune, 5.9.19 – Should Sports Gambling Become Legal In Illinois, Will You Be Able To Wager On Illini, Wildcats Or Huskies? Don’t Bet On It.
- That’s the peculiar compromise a lawmaker is considering to soothe athletic directors worried that legalized college sports betting in Illinois could lead to point shaving, leaks of sensitive information and other corruption.
- MTN News, 5.9.19 – Montana Lottery Seeks Public Input On Sports Betting
- The 2019 Montana Legislature passed House Bill 725 during the legislative session, which legalized sports gambling in the state through the Montana Lottery. HB725 was signed into law on May 3, and lottery officials say they’re already hard at work for the implementation.
Sports League News:
- Legal Sports Report, 5.10.19 – Integrity Fee Issues For NBA and MLB Run Deeper Than They Appear
- The concept of an integrity fee paid to sports leagues by states legalizing sports betting flopped so resoundingly that it had to be renamed. League officials stopped referring to an integrity fee and started calling it a royalty. By any name, a cut of legal sports betting handle stood as the goal, along with profit from the sale of so-called official league data.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Sports Handle, 5.9.19 – FOX And Stars Group Taking The Plunge Into Sports Betting
- FOX Sports and major sports betting player The Stars Group on Wednesday jointly revealed plans to launch FOX Bet. In a media release FOX Sports and Stars are calling their alliance “the first-of-its kind national media and sports wagering partnership in the United States.”
- Ad Age, 5.9.19 – Fox Enters The Betting Market With A $236 Million Stake In Stars Group
- Fox Corp. is buying nearly 5 percent of gaming giant Stars Group Inc. and starting its own sports wagering platform — by far the biggest media investment yet in the burgeoning U.S. sports-betting market.
- AP, 5.9.19 – Betting Predictions To Be Part Of Fox Sports Analysis (Stars Group)
- Fox Sports viewers tuning in to some broadcasts this fall will not only see the game, but also will get betting predictions.
- Financial Times, 5.9.19 – Murdochs Take Slimmed-Down Fox Into Sports Betting (Stars Group)
- Fox is betting on sports gambling as a bigger part of its future, as the Murdoch family reshapes the media group to focus on live sports and news following the sale of its Hollywood empire to Disney.