Industry News of the Day for October 10, 2019
iDEA Growth in the News:
- Legal Sports Report, 10.9.19 – Ohio Sports Betting Bill Holds The Line On Official League Data Mandate Ask [iDEA Growth mentioned]
- Ohio appears to be giving into sports leagues on one request but standing strong on refusing to include an official league data mandate.
- US Bets, 10.9.19 – Ohio The Site For Sports Leagues’ Latest Attempt At A Money Grab [iDEA Growth mentioned]
- The Ohio House Finance Committee on Wednesday held its second hearing in as many days on a proposal to legalize sports wagering, both in a retail setting and via the internet.
- EGR Global, 10.9.19 – Industry Advises Illinois To Remove Cap On Online-Only Licenses [J. Ifrah as iDEA Growth spokesman; subscription paywall]
- Industry trade body iDEA Growth has advised the Illinois Gaming Board (IGB) to remove its proposed cap on online-only licences, as part of the regulator’s public consultation.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Gambling Compliance, 10.10.19 – GVC Buzzing About Brazil, Unflustered By Flutter-Stars Merger [subscription paywall]
- GVC is looking for BetMGM to capture a 10-15 percent share of New Jersey’s sports-betting market by mid-2020, but is almost as excited about Brazil as the United States, CEO Kenny Alexander said on Wednesday.
- NJ Online Gambling, 10.9.19 – Problem Gambling The Focus Of A Major New Partnership In New Jersey
- GVC Holdings, a worldwide gaming firm that entered New Jersey’s online world in 2013, announced the formation of a foundation on problem gambling that includes former Giants Super Bowl-winning wide receiver Amani Toomer, Princeton Public Affairs Group lobbyist William Pascrell III, and GVC Holdings Director of Regulatory Affairs Martin Lycka.
- Betting US, 10.10.19 – GVC Creates US Foundation For Responsible Gambling
- Earlier this week, GVC Holdings launched a US-facing foundation for responsible gambling.
- SBC Americas, 10.9.19 – SG Ready To Showcase The ‘Future Of Sports Betting’ At G2E 2019
- Scientific Games Corporation will showcase what it describes as ‘the future of sports betting’ at the 2019 Global Gaming Expo in Las Vegas next week.
- Gambling Compliance, 10.10.19 – S. Senate Leaves Tribal Gaming Nominee Twisting Slowly In The Wind [subscription paywall]
- It has been more than ten weeks since a Senate committee agreed to a unanimous voice vote to confirm the nominee to lead the federal agency overseeing Indian gaming, but no one seems to know when a final vote on the Senate floor will be scheduled.
- CPR New, 10.10.19 – Sports Books And Water Boards Are Strange Bedfellows In The Push For Prop DD
- A bet on whether the Broncos will make the playoffs and Colorado’s vision to cover its future water needs might seem unrelated, but the future of each are now intertwined in a November ballot measure.
- The Aspen Times, 10.10.19 – Breaking Down What Prop DD Could Mean For Colorado Water, Gambling
- Proposition DD’s supporters — including environmental organizations, agriculture interests, conservation districts and Aspen Skiing Co. — say the measure will be used to close a $3 billion state funding gap in implementing the Colorado Water Plan.
- Colorado Politics, 10.9.19 – Centennial Institute Comes Out Strong Against Prop CC And Gambling
- The Centennial Institute made its point of view clear on taxes and gambling Wednesday as it came out against Proposition CC and Proposition DD on the Nov. 5 ballot.
- Sports Handle, 10.9.19 – Pennsylvania University Forbids Students From Betting On School’s Athletics
- It may be legal, but it won’t be allowed. That goes for students and faculty of St. Joe’s University, a private Jesuit school in Philadelphia and Lower Merion, Pennsylvania.
- Gambling Compliance, 10.10.19 – Georgia Legislative Counsel Recommends Constitutional Amendment For Sports Betting [subscription paywall]
- As a Senate committee starts to debate the merits of sports-betting legislation, Georgia’s Office of Legislative Counsel has weighed in to say that a constitutional amendment would be the safest route to bring sports wagering to the Peach State.
- Play WV, 10.9.19 – Bye, Bye, Bye: WVU Football’s Off Week Reflected In West Virginia Sports Betting Handle
- It was an up and down week for sports betting in West Virginia. While the overall betting handle didn’t grow for the first time in a while, the Mountain State still had a solid showing for the week of Sept. 28.
- WSN, 10.10.19 – Chicago Sports Teams Lay Out Plans For Sports Betting
- As the five major sports franchises in Chicago ready their stadiums for sports betting, the teams have reached out to the Illinois Gaming Board to negotiate the state’s proposed rules.
- Betting US, 10.9.19 – Newgioco Partners With Handle 19 For Sports Betting In DC
- Newgioco, a sports betting technology supplier, is poised to enter the Washington DC market through a partnership with the sports bar chain, Handle 19.